Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Beginning

I’ve thought about this for a while. I keeping thinking to myself that I should write a blog about becoming free of debt. I might not have a lot compared to others my age, but it’s still there. $44,000 for student loans is a good bit, but I don’t have any other kinds of debt. (This is the approximate amount just for a general idea.) What would this blog be about? Saving money and getting rid of all that debt. (FREEDOM! Yes, I’m a fan of Dave Ramsey.)

Where to start? I’m 25 years of age with a BA in Anthropology and I have extensive collage credit in computer science, almost enough for a BS. (Maybe I’ll finish it off one of these days.) I work a full time job (in retail) and a part time job (with a consulting firm) clocking in 50-55 hours/week between the two. My full time job is almost an hour away so there isn’t always a lot of extra time on any given day.

I live with my sweetheart as my last two roommates didn’t work out. We could be friends or roommates not both. (Money changes everything.) Moving back in with my parents was not an option because it would have destroyed my relationship with my mother. It would have been a better finical decision, but my relationship with her is far too important to risk obliterating. We would have driven each other absolutely nuts! (I’m not kidding. Someone would have ended up in the hospital. I swear it.)

I have a budget and have managed to live on it for about 4 or 5 years now. (Doesn’t mean I followed it 100% of the time.) I had some early practice with the budget during the last two years in college. I go over it once every two to three months (sometimes obsessively once a week) and make adjustments as needed. I would like to post the budget on this blog, but I don’t know if that is really a smart idea.

I think this will be a good start. Hopefully I can post things about deals I manage to score and that kind of thing. More than anything I would like to keep the focus on getting out of debt. However saving money on things is part of that process so it might turn more into a deal blog that brings a lot of life into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment